Three Signs Of Faulty Electrical Wiring

Posted on: 10 January 2018

Share

Damaged or improperly installed electrical wiring can be a huge concern for your home, and not just because of the reduced performance that it can provide to your electrical appliances. Faulty electrical wiring can greatly increase the risk of an electrical fire occurring, which can cause serious structural damage to your home that can be both involved and expensive to fix. Fortunately, there are several warning signs associated with faulty wiring that you can look out for to determine when you should call an electrician to rewire certain sections of your home.

Dim Lights and Reduced Performance

Faulty wiring can be most easily noticed by the flickering and dimming that it can cause light fixtures to exhibit, and the reduced performance that it can cause for other appliances in your home. Sometimes, wiring that is not able to handle the load of all of your appliances at once may cause lights to dim and flicker once another appliance is turned on. If you notice either of these symptoms, it's a good idea to get both the wiring in that area checked to ensure that it is up to code, and to have your electrical box examined to determine if all of your circuit breakers are in good condition.

Discolored Outlets

Another fairly easy to notice warning sign associated with poor wiring in your home is if there are any signs of blackening or burning around your electrical outlets. This can happen when wiring is not properly insulated, causing sparks to arc as power passes through them and causing extremely small and minor electrical fires within the outlet itself. This can cause that discoloration of the outlet and a small surrounding area of the wall. This is more than a simple aesthetic issue, and points to the very real risk of an electrical fire occurring.

Burning Smell

In a similar vein to the above point, you may notice that there is a smell of burning near your electrical outlets, or in very serious cases, permeating certain rooms in your home. This points to the exact same problem: some sort of wiring issue is allowing sparks to arc and causing minor burns either in your outlets or behind your walls. This can sometimes come with a buzzing smell, but this is not always the case, and either way a professional should be called to look at your wiring as soon as possible. 

Visit a website like PIRESELECTRIC.COM for more information.