Got Enough Power? Why You May Need A New Electrical Panel In Your Home

Posted on: 11 October 2017

Share

When it comes to your safety, there are some things you just shouldn't mess with. Electricity is one of those things. At any given moment, you have electrical power flowing through the walls in your home. That electrical power is being directed through a panel located somewhere in your home. If you were to look in the electrical panel, you'd see a system of fuses or circuits that are labeled with the various rooms in your home. When your electrical panel is working properly, you get all the power you need, to every room in your home. From there, you're electronic gadgets, appliances, and lights, all receive the power they need to operate. If your electrical panel isn't functioning properly, not only will you not have the power you need to operate your gadgets and appliances, but you might be in danger of electrical fires and short-outs. To prevent those problems, you should have your electrical panel replaced from time-to-time. Here are three of the reasons why it might be necessary to replace your electrical panel:

You've Purchased a Fixer-Upper

One of the problems with buying a fixer-upper is that they often come with outdated, or damaged wiring. If you've purchased a fixer-upper, especially an older one, you should plan on rewiring the house and having a new electrical panel installed. The new wiring and electrical panel will ensure that your fixer-upper has the ability to safely power all the modern electronic equipment you have.

You Use an Unsafe Number of Extension Cords

Extension cords are a great resource when you have a temporary power need. However, they're not intended for permanent use. If you're using extension cords to avoid certain outlets in your home, it's time to update your electrical panel. It's also a good idea to replace the bad outlets. There may be a short between the outlets and the electrical panel. While you're having your bad outlets replaced, it's a good idea to test the rest of your outlets for short circuits. Feel the base of your power cords where they plug into the wall. If that portion of the cord is hot, you'll need to replace that outlet.

You've Had a Recent House Fire

If you've recently experienced a house fire, the wiring in your home may have overheated during the event. House fires can cause damage to electrical wiring, even if the entire home was not involved. While your home is being repaired, have the wiring inspected by a certified electrician. If the wiring shows sign of heat damage, be sure they include a new electrical panel and wiring in the plans.

Contact a company like Cole Electric Inc for more information and assistance.